Tuesday, October 4, 2022

The departure of Queen Elizabeth II

     I never met Queen Elizabeth II.

    Although I might have had an opportunity to see her, to watch her at some public event during the three months I spent in London. The London Times always announced the public appearances of the royal family.

    She died in Scotland. Her last official act was to invite a new prime minister to form a new government. I did not realize until I looked it up that Balmoral was so far north of Edinburgh. I was pleased to see the Scotland Standard draped over her coffin.

    I feared that the Scotland Standard would be replaced by the red-white-and blue flag of the British Union. At some point I caught a glimpse of a rehearsal in which the substitute coffin indeed was covered by the British Union flag. At what point would it be changed? Perhaps when the coffin left Westminster Abbey on the way to Windsor.

    No, there was no change, nor at any point. As the coffin slowly was lowered into a vault, it still bore the Scotland flag. The descent of the draped coffin was a somber happening to observe. No longer would I turn my computer on in the morning and read of the appearance of Queen Elizabeth II. We never knew each other, but our lifetimes were lived in a similar span of time. I shared the planet with someone who will be remembered through the history of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be read before posting